Where the Wild Things Are Soundtrack

| |
When I saw the trailer for Where the Wild Things Are, I got very excited to see the movie.  I don't remember the books from my own childhood, I had more things like Dr. Seuss and Amelia Bedelia.  I finally saw the movie last week and while the film itself wasn't exactly what I expected, the soundtrack really got my attention.



Amidst the explosions Spike Jonze loves, the music really permeated the theater.  I think we all felt slightly awkward, happy, then angry, then confused, then glad, then frustrated and finally resigned and content.  Good job, Karen O.

What?  You didn't know?  Yep.  The soundtrack was composed and co-produced by Karen O, performed by Karen O and the Kids.  The Kids being her collaborators.  Not a shabby list including Deerhunter Bradford Cox, Yeah Yeah Yeahs Imaad Wasif, Nick Zinner and Brian Chase, Dead Weather/Raconteurs members Dean Fertita and Jack Lawrence, Liars' Aaron Hemphill, the Bird and the Bee's Greg Kurstin, Services' Tristan Bechet, and Gris Gris's Oscar Michel.  You can read another article and get the full list from Rolling Stone here.

I love that so many great artists got involved in making music for this movie.  It's not just because I think the wild things are cute.  It's because I love that I heard something different and new and great in a movie score besides just the normal violins and symphony.  Don't get me wrong - there's a place for that as well, I'm not knocking it.  I just really like when people take chances.  Especially when that chance turns into something wonderful to put in my ears.

Did I mention you can listen to the entire soundtrack for free online?  That's right... you can stream it directly from Imeem.  Enjoy.


stream Karen O and the Kids - Where the Wild Things Are Soundtrack

No comments:

Post a Comment